Wednesday, December 17, 2014

"Kyrie Among All Nations"

In my reflections about this Holy Day, holiday season, the hymn “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day” came to mind. Why? It seems to be juxtaposed with some of the goings on in our nation and world. We look at the relics of Ferguson, Missouri, and other cities that have been torn apart by rioters. We hear cries to kill police officers. We see and hear of the barbarism of Pakistani terrorists. Can we help but say with Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in verse 3: “And in despair I bowed my head: "There is no peace on earth," I said, "For hate is strong and mocks the song ‘Of peace on earth, good will to men.’" It leads to a simple prayer of “Kyrie among all nations”. Would you join me in this prayer at this juncture in history, please?

No comments: